|MUSQUODOBOIT VALLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (1948 - 1975)|
of TownCryer News
First Issue April 2007
Last Issue July 2016
|Home How To Get Here Contact|
ABOUT MUSQUODOBOIT VALLEY
THINGS TO DO
Dean Maple Syrup Festival
Halifax County Exhibition
50 Mile Yard Sale
Kirk Logan Fiddling Contest
Rally in the Valley
Christmas Festival of Trees
Christmas Festival of Crafts
ARTS AND CULTURE
HISTORIC SITES AND MUSEUMS
REST AND RELAXATION
THINGS TO DO FOR FREE!
AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRY
Musquodoboit Valley Memorial Hospital
In Middle Musquodoboit, April 17, 1946, shortly after WWII, the local hospital committee held a conference with Commissioner Illsley of the Red Cross Society. The committee recommended the large residence owned by Ira Holman be bought for a Memorial Hospital. The purchase was made, and the house was converted into an eight-bed hospital although, quite often, many more patients were cared for at one time.
The Musquodoboit Valley Memorial Hospital, a Red Cross Outpost Hospital, opened its doors March 29, 1948. A board of trustees appointed, included Councillor D. A. Hutchinson, Dr. J. R. Cameron, R. K. Reid, George Burris and Norman Dares.
Situated on a hillside overlooking the village of Middle Musquodoboit and the river, with a wide view of the intervales dotted with graceful elms, the hospital presented a picture of restful beauty. On November 3, 1948, there was the following Staff: Hilda Smith, Sunny Brae, N.B. - Matron; Ruth Guild, Middle Musquodoboit, Marion Foley, Milton, Queens Co., Doris Mingo, Denmark, N.S., - Nurses. Dr. J. R. Cameron, Middle Musquodoboit, was the attending physician.
When the district was without a resident physician, in 1973, the newly formed Musquodoboit Valley Lions Club began fundraising. Within six months of the Club's formation, the Lions raised $35,000 to establish the Musquodoboit Valley Medical Centre. Two trailers were purchased and set up side by side near the hospital to serve as doctors’ offices. The first doctors who came as a result of the Lions’ enterprise were Dr. L.R. McLetchie and Dr. Thomas Peters. When construction was started on the new hospital, the Clinic was forced to move, and a new site was leased from Melvin Higgins on the hill.
The first hospital served the community until a new hospital, retaining the old name, was erected, in great part with Government funds, on the same site, a little further west. It cost $500,000. The dedication ceremony took place in October, 1976. Administrator (1980) Mrs. Evelyn Lutwick; Assistant Administrator, Mrs. Gail Benison; Chief-of-Staff, Dr. C. Marshall. The old hospital was removed and furnishings sold.
It took two years for the
reconstruction but the hospital finally opened its doors March 29,
1948. Dr. J. R. Cameron was the physician. Daily rates for the first
patients were $3. In the first seven months, there were 217
admissions including the birth of 53 babies. In the 27 years of
operation there were 1,657 babies born.
|Home How To Get Here Contact Event Details on Facebook|