|MUSQUODOBOIT VALLEY RESIDENT ENJOYS MAKING HAY THE OLD FASHION WAY|
of TownCryer News
First Issue April 2007
Last Issue July 2016
|Home How To Get Here Contact|
ABOUT MUSQUODOBOIT VALLEY
THINGS TO DO
Dean Maple Syrup Festival
Halifax County Exhibition
50 Mile Yard Sale
Kirk Logan Fiddling Contest
Rally in the Valley
Christmas Festival of Trees
Christmas Festival of Crafts
ARTS AND CULTURE
HISTORIC SITES AND MUSEUMS
REST AND RELAXATION
THINGS TO DO FOR FREE!
AGRICULTURE AND INDUSTRY
Our Historical Roots
At a time when many think the world is spiraling out of control, residents of Musquodoboit Valley are still enjoying a way of life that has been their history for more than 200 years.
Direct descendants of the original families that first settled Musquodoboit Valley in the late 1700s remain. Local residents take pride knowing they have carried forward the oral histories and traditions of their ancestors. In Musquodoboit Pioneers: A Record of Seventy Families: Their Homesteads and Genealogies (1780-1980), author Jenny Reid recounts detailed information about the settlement of Musquodoboit Valley.
The Musquodoboit River, along which the communities of Musquodoboit Valley first settled, is approximately 97 kilometres in length. It is one of the few rivers in central Nova Scotia that supports a healthy population of Atlantic sea trout and salmon. The river is also a popular recreational destination for canoeists and kayaking enthusiasts.
Moose River Gold Mines Disaster
Tragedy struck our Valley on Easter Sunday, April 12, 1936. The Moose River Gold Mines Disaster will always be remembered. Three men were trapped 150 feet below the earth’s surface for 10 days – only two survived. The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission sent Frank Willis to the scene where he made the first live reports to 100 million listeners from the disaster location. It was North America's very first live broadcast from a disaster scene: forever changing the delivery of news. more >>
Musquodoboit Valley Cemetery Records
Through the efforts of many volunteers, family and community histories have been compiled and recorded to provide factual information to those searching their genealogy. As well, records of all the church cemeteries within Musquodoboit Valley are updated regularly and are available upon request by contacting the Musquodoboit Valley Tourism Association.
Some time in the 1930s, while fishing on one of the lakes in the Murchyville area, two men believed they caught sight of a treasure chest under the water’s surface. Research revealed that the British had attempted to intercept a French payroll intended for Louisburg during the 1700s. It is believed the French ducked in to a small harbour, unloaded the payroll and burnt their ship. Then, they came inland by following one of the established native routes, traveled the water courses to Musquodoboit Valley to hide the booty. The harbour where the ship was torched since became known as Ship Harbour.
|Home How To Get Here Contact Event Details on Facebook|